On "Landsgemeindeplatz" we walk along the lake, passing the
aviary, to the Restaurant "Hecht"
Under the wrought-iron shield we enter a small yard from where the
track "Seegaessli" runs for the most part directly along the
lake shore. There are some steps here and there. The tubs belong to the
fish nursery. The fish museum is open after appointment or on weekends in
April and May.
The board on the wall of the building is telling of the catastrophe in
1435 when part of the old town sank into the lake (another drama happened in 1887 when the "Vorstadt" sank).
The path goes on to the public bath "Seelikon" (free
admittance) with the Casino above.
We proceed up towards the main road. Nearby we notice a part of the old
town wall. Behind the wall is Liebfrauenkapelle.
Some meters after crossing the main road we're at the library and in
the "Oswaldsgasse". We turn left, passing the Africa museum
(open weekdays) and walk on to Saint Oswald's church.
After the church we walk up along "Kirchenstrasse", passing
the entrance to the Burg museum (open Tue - Fr: 2 PM - 5 PM; Sat Sun, plus
10 AM - 12AM). Following the wall, above the citadel at the arts museum
(open Tue - Fr, 12 Am - 6 PM; Sa - Su 10AM - 5 PM) we get a fine view over
part of the town. The adjacent "Dorf" with the Knopfli
tower is partly built directly onto the wall.
At the end of the building we turn right, up "Dorfstrasse".
After 20 m we get to a remainder of the town wall. There a path turns off
to the park area and villa "Daheim" and the "Huwiler"
tower. We can make out a second neighboring tower, the "Pulver"
We're crossing the park up, passing the villa (now a Kindergarten) and
arrive at a Bitumen road. Turning left, along "Hoehenweg" we'll
hit Aegeristrasse. Along the way every now and then we'll get beautiful
views over town and lake into the mountains.
At Restaurant Ruetli we cross the main road and are on
Turning left on the second road, "Guggiweg" will lead on to idyllic Guggiwiese with fantastic panorama: The church of St Michael,
the Dorf with Knopfli tower, the monastery, Oswald church, Rigi, Huwiler
tower, Stanserhorn, Moench, Eiger, Zytturm, Pilatus, Rooter Berg, and
finally the symbol of Cham, the needle of the church tower.
From the bench on the right side we can see the Metalli center, Guthirt
church, Baar and the Albis mountain chain.
We are leaving the spot and walk down to the little Bitumen track.
Turning right would bring us down, along the Minigolf course, to
Postplatz. But turning left we'll ascend the track, where at the end we
recognize a board reminding of a gloomy time in 1275.
Turning right down along the main road after 100 m there is a turnoff
to the right. It carries to the monastery. A staircase finally leads down
to the old Zeughaus (arsenal). Walking down along the
"Zeughausgasse" we pass the old mint (obere und untere Muenz)
and arrive at Postplatz, not far from where we started.